Listen up artists…. the Dimond District of Oakland is looking to install more public art projects in the neighborhood, and they’ve got some funding to make it happen!
Organized by Dimond Public Art (DPA), a volunteer-run committee of the Dimond Improvement Association, the goals of the overall project are the following:
- To develop the cultural, artistic and physical identity of the Dimond District
- To beautify the neighborhood through creative, attractive and unique artwork
- To engage the community in the development and production of public art and related educational opportunities
They are seeking proposals for public projects ranging in scope from mini or temporary works ($500) to large scale permanent installations (up to $10,000) and anticipate funding approximately 4 to 6 projects by spring of next year.
Map above shows potential sites, though these are merely suggestions:
- The Bay Leaf Restaurant – MacArthur & Canon
- Empty Storefront (formerly Blockbuster) – MacArthur & Dimond
- Bienati Parking Lot – Bienati Way & Dimond
- Wells Fargo Pillars – Fruitvale & MacArthur
- Wells Fargo Parking Lot – Champion & MacArthur
- Champion Street Pedestrian Plaza – Champion & MacArthur
- Dimond Library Garden – Fruitvale north of MacArthur
- Dimond Park – Fruitvale & Lyman
- Fruitvale Presbyterian Church – MacArthur & Coolidge
Also, electrical boxes and chain link fencing throughout Dimond.
Here is the link for the Request for Proposal.
And here is the Application.
Note that preference will be given to projects involving members of the community, including children, since one of the goals is community engagement. Any questions can be sent to email@example.com.
Submissions due by November 30th! Get busy.
Please share this with any Oakland based artists you think might be interested.