It’s our last day abroad and we are back in the buzzing, sweltering metropolis of Athens after several days in the gorgeous Greek Isles. It’s been an amazing trip so far, and though I know the amazement will continue as we head to the Acropolis later this afternoon, I’d be lying if I didn’t say that I’m just a tad homesick for Oakland.
So in homage to my hometown, I’m posting a small collection of random art snapshots from various locations throughout the city, and I’m curious to see how many of these you recognize.
So let me know how well you know Oakland… can you name the locations of these art pieces??? Post your answers in comments and we’ll see who gets the most right! (no cheating please)
These are tough! I know Oakland very well, and can only get half. I think:
2. dragons and crest – Bellevue Staten Building
3. First Church of the Buzzard – just off Adeline St. in West Oakland
5. Love Oakland Mural – “Mural Lane”, aka 15th Street
6. muffler man – muffler place on Shattuck
The ‘conservashun’ flower gate is familiar, but I can’t place it.
Hi Gene! I’m so grateful to you for commenting on this… was feeling sad earlier that no one tried. And I knew some of these were a bit obscure, but I thought that’s what might make it fun. You did REALLY well!
1. Eyes Mural – back patio of Old Crow Tattoo on Grand Ave by lake
2. Dragons & Crest – YES! I love that old building
3. First Church of Buzzard – YES! Adeline @ 26th in West Oakland
4. ‘Conservashun’ Flower – this is right near Laney College at 9th & Fallon
5. Love Oakland Mural – YES! 15th Street downtown
6. Muffler Man – YES! on Shattuck… it’s called Ron’s Berkeley Muffler but technically it’s in Oakland. I love their sculptures.
7. Skull Mural – this is also downtown near 14th @ Harrison. Spotted it while parking for an event at the Malonga Casquelourd Center for the Arts.
Thanks so much for playing. Wish I had a prize for you! 😉
Heh. If we’re playing “how well do you know Oakland?”: who is Laney College named for? (I only just found this out myself) http://oaklandwiki.org/Laney_College 😉
hey, you can’t give me the answer with the question! seriously though… I love the new Oakland wiki and though I’ve just barely scratched the surface, I want to get more involved. Looks like you’re pretty dialed in!
If you had to use the link, that’s cheating 🙂 Yeah, I’ve been spending a lot of time on the Oakland Wiki. Well, and on paid work. Between the two, Our Oakland hasn’t been getting as much attention as I’d like.